Mozambique is young, its’ urban and its’s growing! One third of Mozambique’s 31 million citizens are urban. The medium age in Mozambique is 17 years. So, Mozambicans by and large are tech savvy, brand conscious, young people you’ll find in much of Africa.
Situated on the south east of Africa, it shares borders with 6 countries. To the west Zimbabwe, to the north Tanzania, Malawi and Zambia and South Africa and Eswatini to the south. Mozambique is a very important gateway to Southern Africa and undoubtedly an important commercial destination in its own right. The country’s major commercial ports play a very important role in the economy of the country.
These ports, especially the Maputo corridor, are used by all neighboring countries for a big part of their exports and imports. The transit channels to neighboring countries makes Mozambique and important territory for counterfeit trafficking and activities, to highlight only one of the reasons for protection your IPR in Mozambique.
Protecting IP in Mozambique:
It is very likely that you already know important IP Protection and enforcement is in ensuring commercial success. But you may need to be told a bit more about protecting IP in Mozambique. Here’s a starter kit:
Laws governing IP in Mozambique:
The laws governing IPR protection is mainly the Industrial Property Code No 47/2015 of 31 December and the Copyright law of 2001.
Industrial property is the branch of IP that includes: Patents, designs, trademarks, tradenames, industrial designs, unfair competition, origin and geographical indicators, insignias of establishments, logo towards.
Mozambique has also ratified or acceded to the following International conventions and treaties:
Mozambique is furthermore a member of ARIPO, WIPO & WTO.
The organizations overseeing various Intellectual Property Rights registrations in Mozambique are:
- Industrial Property Institute for Trademark, Patent and Design registrations;
- National Institute of Books & Records responsible for registration of Intellectual property rights relating to Software;
- The Mozambican Society of Authors overseeing all Copyright registrations;
- Minister of Agriculture in specific the Seed Department is responsible for Plant variety registrations;
- The National Inspectorate of Economic Activities handles all anti – counterfeit matters.